I will be eighty years of age in a few days and have been giving some considerable thought to my remaining time on earth. I have questions, including:
- How can I make the best use of my remaining time on earth?
- Should I keep hammering away at my local Episcopalian Church reciting the Sunday service by rote from the Prayer Book that doesn’t change, like I’ve been doing for the past forty-six years, or,
- should I look at Buddhism, for example, as a place to expend my spiritual being?
- Should I continue to get my daily briefing about our government and our society, from the TV and local newspapers. These sources are merely adding to my anxiety about matters over which I have no control.
- Should I quit trying to help others with their problems, when there is a growing resentment that I am an old lawyer, and my legal guidance is not welcome?
- If I continue to write, to whom should I address my writing and on what topics should I spend my time ?
Is there a trail head for an old fellow like me from which I can renew an aged and worn life? Is there a journey yet to be taken leading to contentment and enlightenment?
Please, let me know what you think about these questions.
Thanks, I’m Ben